As of July 15, 2020, the Government of Hungary introduces entry restrictions. Countries are classified into “red”, “yellow” and “green” categories, based on the severity of the COVID situation in each.
Latest: Canada awarded a yellow rating, Portugal upgraded to green!
- Hungarian citizens and their relatives can enter Hungary from a “green” country without a health check.
- A Hungarian citizen coming from a “yellow” or “red” country will be subjected to health checks at the border and must be quarantined for 14 days. An exception to this is if they can credibly show two negative coronavirus tests 48 hours apart in the previous 5 days. A Hungarian citizen coming from a “yellow” country may be released from quarantine after the first negative coronavirus test, but if coming from a “red” country, two negative tests are required.
- In the case of non-Hungarian citizens, those coming from a “yellow” country can enter under the same conditions as Hungarian citizens, but it is not possible to enter Hungary from a “red” country.
- “Red” Countries: Republic of Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Republic of Belarus, Republic of Kosovo, Republic of Northern Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Ukraine, all African countries, all Asian countries, except for Japan and the People’s Republic of China, all countries belonging to the Australian continent, and most countries on the American continent.
- “Yellow” Countries: Bulgaria, United Kingdom, Norway, Russian Federation, Portugal, Romania, Republic of Serbia, Kingdom of Sweden, Japan, People’s Republic of China, Canada, United States of America.
- “Green” Countries: Countries that did not receive a yellow or red classification are green.
- The Government of Hungary will regularly review the classification of countries and will adjust it to possible changes in the COVID situation.
- Exception Requests: Foreigners may make a request an exception and entry permit with supporting documents on the National Police website. See https://ugyintezes.police.hu/web/guest/uj-ugy-inditasa/ (in Hungarian only)
Current classification of the European countries:
You can find more information here: https://hu.usembassy.gov/covid-19/