Two commemorative columns were unveiled in Kőszeg in memory of the Jewish labor servicemen murdered in the spring of 1945. The initiative was taken by a private person, Gábor Vadász, a doctor, whose father and his twin brother lost their lives along with hundreds of others to the atrocities of German soldiers.
One of the memorials, a marble plaque on a granite block of stone next to the former Brewery on Lékai road, and the other, a brick pillar next to the former Czeke Brick Factory, commemorate the memory of the compatriots who died there.The commemoration was attended by Sándor Márkus, President of the Jewish Community of Szombathely, Szabolcs Szita, historian and former director of the Holocaust Memorial Centre, György Frisch, former president of the NÜB, János Székely, Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Szombathely, Csaba Baranyai, Lutheran Pastor of Kőszeg and Béla Básthy, Mayor of Kőszeg.
The commemorative speeches recalled the atrocities committed in the former labor camp. In addition to the mourners “El mole rachamim” praying, excerpts from László Tolnai’s book Kőszeg Terminus were read. At the end of the event, those present laid the stones of remembrance and lit the spirit candles.
One of the organizers of the event was Edit Szántóné Balázs, historian and researcher at the iASK.