The European Space Agency (ESA) is organising an Advanced Training Course on Land Remote Sensing with the focus on Agriculture and Water in collaboration with the Institute of Advanced Studies Kőszeg (iASK). This course is dedicated to training the next generation of Earth Observation (EO) scientists and experts working in Agriculture and Water domain to exploit data from EO multispectral, hypersprectral and SAR missions (e.g. the Copernicus Sentinels) for science and applications development. The course is part of ESA’s EO Science for Society – Scientific Exploitation element of EOEP-5 (the fifth cycle of ESA’s Earth Observation Envelope Programme).
The training will include theory and hands-on sessions on the following topics:
- Introduction to status of relevant missions including Sentinels in operation and under development, Earth Explorer FLEX, EnMap and PRISMA
- Crop mapping and monitoring of vegetation biophysical parameters
- Estimation of land surface temperature, evapotranspiration, and soil moisture
- Irrigation mapping, detection, quantification, and management
- Drought monitoring and water use efficiency estimation
- Time series smoothing and analysis
- Multisource data analysis
- Use of hyperspectral and thermal data in addition to optical and microwave
- In-situ data collection and preparation
- Training on the use of SNAP toolbox
The 5-day course will be held from 21 to 25 November 2022 at the Institute of Advanced Studies Kőszeg (iASK), Hungary. Postgraduate, PhD students, post-doctoral research scientists and professionals from European countries and Canada interested in the applications of Earth Observation in Agriculture and Water cycle in agriculture are welcome to apply for the course. Research scientists, students, EO professionals from all other countries are also welcomed to apply, subject to availability of space.
More information and registration at https://landtraining2022.esa.int/