The KRAFT (Creative City, Sustainable Region) Concept is such a regional development initiative which calls the attention that the successfulness of various investment projects depends on the connectivity and cooperation of key players from local economy, local government and academic institutions. Cases studies in various scientific reviews emphasize the importance of the cooperation of this three players.
The KRAFT-index is a complex analytical tool suitable for demonstrate on first hand cities’, city regions’ and their broader regional context’s development tendencies, connectivity; on second hand the cooperation attitudes and capacity of important players, institutions in the regional context and on the third hand their creativity potential.
The KRAFT (Creative City, Sustainable Region) Concept has three basic fundamental potentials based on the research work accomplished:
- Creativity and innovation potential, which means the development is due to when we ‘getting out of the box’ meaning the new ideas, plans if we stop thinking in schemes;
- Importance of social capital, network potential as a basis for cooperation for development;
- Sustainability potential which guarantees the projects successfulness from economic, social and environmental point of view.
The three basic fundamental potentials are measured on the following eight specific key areas of intervention:
- economic development
- social vitality
- natural and built environment
- education, learning
Applied methods for the development of the KRAFT-index
The first project for exploiting the research results, the first complex examinations are taking place in Veszprém city area. The ‘KRAFT-index Veszprém’ project has started in the beginning of 2017.
The hard indices of the KRAFT-index are those which could be calculated based on data from existing (secondary) databases.
– questionnaire for on-site survey at households
– interviews with the main representatives of the local government and data acquisition with standardized report form
– interviews used for measuring the opinion of the management of local firms